Opinion » Letters

Beach carelessness burns boy




One week after what should have been an enjoyable day at the beach, my 5-year-old grandson remains hospitalized in a Bay Area burn unit. He was transported to Valley Medical Center in San Jose, by ambulance from the Arroyo Grande emergency room after receiving severe burns to his feet at Pismo Beach. Hot embers left by a beach fire were camouflaged by sand. The physical, emotional, and financial toll this is taking on my daughter’s family was entirely preventable.

I hope this serves as a reminder that beach or camp fires need to be fully extinguished with water, not just sand or dirt. Also, since the city of Pismo Beach does not have an ordinance that prohibits fires on the beach, I hope they will post signs for the sake of public awareness. Additionally, ordinances without enforcement are simply meaningless.

Add a comment