- ARTWORK BY JEFF CLAASSEN
Better watch your back, Art After Dark. There’s a younger, louder, badder art walk in town, and its name is Last Friday. All the cool businesses—Sally Loo’s, Dr. Cain’s, SLO Bike Kitchen—are doing it. So are local artists Lena Rushing, Pete Ljepava, and a badass called Stenzskull.
“I feel like these are some of the most talented people that live in this area,” said event organizer (and San Luis Art Supply owner) Neal Breton, who selected artists for the event.
Breton and cohorts have dreamed of starting their own art walk, he said, ever since he found out it costs to get on Arts Obispo’s map. He shudders violently as he mentions the force behind Art After Dark.
Rather than making Last Friday a monthly event, organizers plan to give it a test run first. If it’s successful, they might just do it again sometime. If not, oh well.
“I don’t want that stagnant dance,” Breton insists. “You know, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, drink some wine, shuffle, shuffle, shuffle, eat some cookies ... .”
DJ Malik will be spinning at Coalition, and Black Heartthrobs will be making noise at everyone’s favorite wholesome café. From 6 to 9 p.m. on Friday, March 25, be part of the beer ‘n’ donut-fueled mania that is the first ever Last Friday. The event coincides happily with New Times’ own block-party-in-a-moving-truck, Box City, going down from 7 to 11 p.m. at 3600 South Higuera St. It’s moving trucks. Street performers. Block party meets Carnival.
Last Friday participants are:
• Sally Loo’s Wholesome Café—1813 Osos St., with artist Doug Floyd and music by The Black Heartthrobs.
• SLO Bike Kitchen—860 Pacific St., with artist Pete Ljepava.
• Jeff Claassen Gallery—785 Marsh St., with the “Under $100 Group Show.”
• Dr. Cain’s Comics—778 Marsh St., with artists Sawdust and Kevin Castinero.
• Coalition—974 Monterey St., with artist Chris Daly and music by DJ Malik.
• Tigerlily Salon—670 Higuera St., with artist Lena Rushing .
There’s an after-party at SLO Donut Company—793, suite F, Foothill Blvd., with artist Stenzskull.