There’s some awesome and unusual stuff happening at your local library this summer. In addition to annual summer reading programs, the San Luis Obispo County Library will offer free live performances and activities for children and teens, like a presentation by the Central Coast Paranormal Investigators, a manga drawing workshop with rockstar illustrator Irene Flores, and a chance for kids 4 and older to learn about dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals with expert Aleksandra Wydzga.
There are plenty of free events happening around the county all summer (see the complete list of events and branch locations at slolibrary.org), but here are a few activities to watch for this month:
• Naturalist Karen Poland will present “Fur, Feathers, and Scales: Food Chain” (for ages 4 and older). She will bring an owl, rabbit, and snake to pass around and touch on Friday, June 15, at 3 p.m. at the Oceano Library.
• Taiko Drumming with Ichimi Daiko (4 and older) on Saturday, June 16, at 1 p.m. at the San Miguel Library; Wednesday, June 20, at 11 a.m. at the Nipomo Library; Wednesday, June 20, at 2 p.m. at the Arroyo Grande Library; and Thursday, June 21 at 2 p.m., at the Morro Bay Library.
• Storyteller and musician Kevin Carr entertains with rare and exotic instruments (ages 4 and older) Wednesday, June 20, at 10:30 a.m. at the San Luis Obispo Library and Thursday, June 21, at 11 a.m. at Atascadero Library.
• Valerie Johnson and Al B Blue offer blues and gospel music (4 and older) on Wednesday, June 20, at 1 p.m. at Simmler Library.
• Dance and storytelling with Karen Garma (4 and older) is Tuesday, June 26, at 10 a.m. at the Los Osos Library, and Thursday, June 28, at 1 p.m. at the Shandon Library.
• Music and stories with Paso Robles Kindergarten teacher John Beccia (4 and older) is Thursday, June 28, at 11:30 a.m. at the Santa Margarita Library.
• Dinosaurs with Aleksandra Wydzga (4 and older) is Wednesday, June 27, at 11 a.m. at the Nipomo Library.
• Manga drawing with Irene Flores (ages 11 to 19, reservation required) is Saturday, June 30, from 10:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. at Atascadero Library.
“Dream Big! Read @ Your Library” is the theme of this year’s summer reading program for children up to fifth grade. “Own the Night” is the theme for teens in sixth to 12th grade. Visit slolibrary.org for information on how to participate.