A woman is suing a San Luis Obispo hotel after she claimed she was scalded by some very hot tea.
The lawsuit, filed July 22 in San Luis Obispo County Superior Court, is seeking damages, claiming that the Courtyard Marriott San Luis Obispo was negligent when it knowingly served extremely hot tea to a patron, who suffered burns as the result of a spill.
According to the lawsuit, the woman, identified as Ava Olsen of Irvine, was served the hot tea in the hotel's restaurant and bistro. After the tea was served, an unidentified customer bumped into Olsen, causing her to spill the tea on herself. The spill resulted in "significant burns and other injuries," according to the complaint.
"Unbeknownst to [Olsen], [the hotel] knowingly serve their tea at an excessively high temperature," the lawsuit stated. "The tea has a temperature, when served, high enough to cause immediate burning to skin that it may come into contact with even minutes after it is served."
The suit places the blame for Olsen's injures squarely in the lap of the hotel and its parent company, Marriott International Incorporated.
"Despite this known danger to its customers, the defendants intentionally and maliciously engaged in this dangerous practice based solely on their profit motive," the lawsuit stated.
The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages for Olsen's injuries, medical expenses, and loss of earnings.
As of July 27, Marriott International Incorporated had not filed a response to the lawsuit in court.