Opinion » Letters

Invest in all students

by

comment

The California State University released an unprecedented study last week and found up to 24 percent of the system’s 460,000 students are “food insecure” and 12 percent of students suffer from “housing displacement” or homelessness. College is difficult and even more challenging and stressful when you are hungry and living in your car. Because of financial stress and lack of support from family, these students often drop out of school. 

Many of us living in SLO County have an annual income of $110,000, which puts us in the top 10 percent of wage earners in the United States. We can help provide these students with a bright economic future because, as we all know, an educated community benefits everyone in the community. Retired CSU Chancellor Charlie Reed once said, “If you’re poor and smart, you have a 15 percent chance of going to college, and if you’re rich and stupid, you have an 85 percent chance of going, and that needs to change. We’re not doing enough to change that.” Under Reed’s reign, the CSU tuition increased by 200 percent and his pay/compensation package was $450,000. Don’t be like Reed; invest in all students.

-- Andrea Devitt - Cuesta College Counselor

-- Andrea Devitt - SLO

Add a comment