“Last Friday isn’t your grandmother’s art walk,” says instigator and art supply purveyor Neal Breton. “There’s beer, there’s live music,
there’s [even] doughnuts.”
An art walk for people who don’t art walk, Last Friday debuted in March of this year. While inspired by Art After Dark, which takes place every first Friday, Last Friday isn’t a monthly, or even bi-monthly, happening. Rather, it takes place when the organizers, artists, and participating businesses feel it’s time to take downtown SLO by storm. So depending on how you look at it, it’s always a step ahead of—or many steps behind—the established art walk.
“Last Friday isn’t begging you to take it seriously,” Breton says. “It’s merely asking you to party in the name of art.”
Attractions do not include fine jewelry, paperweights, furniture, arty wine openers, or photographs of Morro Rock. You’re more likely to be won over by local artist Pete Ljepava’s mustache paintings at Tigerlily Salon, or Julian Small Calvillo’s tongue-in-cheek tribute show to the police, titled “Excessive Use of Remorse,” at Coalition.
But it doesn’t stop at visual art either: Hip-hop performer Oscar Goldman will wow at Boo Boo Records, and Ethan Burns of The Ragged Jubilee will play a solo set at Tigerlily. Also check out a “Hang Out and Draw” event at San Luis Art Supply, and party afterward at SLO Donut Company.
It all goes down on June 24, from 5 to 9 p.m., with an after-party from 9 to 11 p.m. See the full lineup below.
• H&G Clothing Artist Erica Hamilton; 956 Higuera St.
• Coalition Artist Julian Small Calvillo, DJ Malik spins. 974 Monterey St.
• Kreuzberg Artist Isaac Yorke, music by 20 Mule Team; 870 Monterey St.
• Tigerlily Salon Artist Peter Ljepava, music by Ethan Burns of The Ragged Jubilee; 670 Higuera St.
• Dr. Cains Comics and Games Artist Sharaya Olmeda; 778 Marsh St.
• Boo Boo Records
Hip hop performer Oscar Goldman; no visual artist; 974 Monterey St.
• San Luis Art Supply Hang Out and Draw event sponsored by Bee Paper and General’s Pencil Co.; no visual artist; 1116 Morro St.
• AFTERPARTY: SLO Donut Company. Photographer Richard Fusillo; music by Chris Lintner. 793 Foothill Blvd; 9 to 11 p.m. ∆