Sometimes Netflix and chill is so ... not chill. Getting out of the dorm and onto the streets of San Luis Obispo for a night of seeing a movie, catching a play, or enjoying live, local music doesn't have to come at the expense of blowing your ramen budget, though. Check out our favorite deals and steals for enjoying a little arts and culture in SLO.
Art After Dark
- Photo By Jasyon Mellom
- ART AFTER DARK Check out art on display at spots like the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art on the first Friday of the month.
Where? At more than 20 galleries in San Luis Obispo.
What is it? On the first Friday of the month, from 6 to 9 p.m., anyone can stop by a plethora of galleries in SLO and check out the latest art up on display.
Deal? It's free. Some places sell wine or offer it up gratis.
More info: sloartscouncil.org.
The Palm Theatre
- File Photo By New Times Staff
- THE PALM For movies the big theaters miss and the best popcorn in town, stop by The Palm Theatre.
Where? 817 Palm St.
What is it? The go-to spot to catch the latest indie flick or gem of a film that's not showing in the big theaters. They also have the best movie popcorn in town (they use real butter and have nutritional yeast on standby) that only sets you back a $1 for a small.
Deal? On Monday bargain night, score a ticket for just $6. Matinees shown before 5 p.m. are only $8, and buying a discount pack of six tickets in bulk is $48. The only downside: It's cash only here.
More info: thepalmtheatre.com.
Downtown Centre 7 Cinema
- Photo From Downtown Centre 7 Cinema's Facebook Page
- DOWNTOWN CENTRE Watching a movie in a reclining chair is just as cozy as catching a flick at home.
Where? 888 Marsh St.
What is it? The local movie theater where you can catch all the big-box hits. Bonus: They sell beer and wine here and have amazingly comfy plush chairs that recline.
Deal? On Discount Tuesday, tickets are $7.50 all day long. Matinees are $10 and early bird shows (before 11 a.m.) are also $7.50.
More info: themovieexperience.com.
- Photo From Sunset Drive-In's Facebook Page
- DRIVE-IN Watching a movie in bedtime attire from the comfort of your car at the Sunset Drive-In is a pleasure not to be missed.
Where? 255 Elks Lane
What is it? One of only a few drive-in movie theaters left in California. Not only can you be cozy in your PJs in the car, but you can totally bring your own food and snacks. (While not officially sanctioned, some moviegoers also opt for the BYOB route.)
Deal? It's just $9 per person, and they show two movies. Cash only.
More info: Sunset Drive-In page on Facebook.
- Photo Courtesy Of Derrick "ras Danny" Reid
- FREE MUSIC Reggae acts like Ras Danny and the Reggae All Stars frequently stop by the Frog & Peach Pub in downtown SLO.
Where? Frog & Peach Pub, Linnaea's Café, both in downtown SLO.
What is it? Head to the Frog & Peach Pub for drinks and reggae and rock music acts, while Linnaea's is the go-to spot for that perfect latte with a cookie while listening to a whimsical folk group. There's way too much music downtown to list, but Strictly Starkey's music column (find it in New Times every Thursday) can get you what you need to know.
Deal? Most of the shows at the Frog & Peach Pub are free, but you must be 21 or older to attend. It's all-ages at Linnaea's Café, and they pass the hat, so be sure to throw in a few bucks to support local and visiting musicians.
SLO Repertory Theatre
- Photo Courtesy Of Slo Repertory Theatre
- SLO REP Take in classic shows like Thornton Wilder’s Our Town at the San Luis Obispo Repertory Theatre.
Where? 888 Morro St.
What is it? The local professional, nonprofit theater where you can see amazing plays performed by local and visiting actors. The cozy theater is intimate, and there's not a bad seat in the house. They have a bar in the lobby with beer and wine (and martinis on select nights), and they even let you bring your booze into the theater.
Deal? Student tickets (with ID) cost $20. Order in advance as they sell out quick.
More info: slorep.org. ∆
Arts Editor Ryah Cooley is all about a good deal at firstname.lastname@example.org.