Retractable steel bollards and other unspecified infrastructure meant to block inroads to the San Luis Obispo Farmers' Market and deter a theoretical vehicular attack will cost the city $1.2 million, according to city officials.
While details on the plan are sparse, City Manager Derek Johnson said he plans to make "substantial progress" on the project within one year. New Times first reported in early January about the city's intent to boost security downtown with a series of steel bollards, in light of recent incidents of vehicular terrorism throughout the world.
City staff will ask the SLO City Council on Feb. 20 to allocate $1.2 million of "savings" found in last year's budget for the security measures, which "are available for one-time purposes such as a capital improvement project," Johnson said.
Johnson said much of the plan is still under review, but "the idea is to largely provide barriers to provide protection for the Farmers' Market and Mission Plaza."
"We don't have any details," Johnson said. "Once formally approved by the City Council, there are whole range of considerations, including existing utilities in the right of way that need to be considered when selecting the type and location of the proposed protective measures."
City staff will present a report to the council on Feb. 20 with the overall schedule and approach for the security measures.