Last Friday, that alternative art walk happening on the last Fridays of some months sometimes, is reaching the end of the end. Last Friday started back in March of this year as a small but kick-ass art happening, and picked up speed over the course of the spring and summer. On Friday, Sept. 29, the art walk will come to a close with an event incorporating seven downtown businesses, seven visual artists, and five musical acts.
Organizer Neal Breton, owner of San Luis Art Supply, said each event takes approximately two months to put on. He described the process as a rewarding, if highly stressful, endeavor.
“When I think of what has transpired this past year within this project, I see a lot of positives,” he said. “We gave some young talent a really good look. Peter Ljepava, Isaac Yorke, Erica Hamilton, Julian Calvillo, and Sharaya Olmeda are very talented, emerging artists within our community, and I feel really good about helping them get some well-deserved attention.”
But for now, he said, he’s taking a much-needed break: “Yeah, I’m over it. I’m going to start a Wiffleball league now. If anyone in reader-land is interested, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Seriously, folks, Wiffleball is the new tandem bicycling.”
Remembering the topic, Breton continued: “I don’t see myself having the energy to herd all the cats needed to keep this machine running. I knew it was time to take a break when I wanted to punch my friends in their respective faces after having almost all of them slack off or screw up their assignments.”
He’s never been one to sugarcoat things! Check out the very last art walk of shame at the following businesses:
• Kreuzberg, CA—685 Higuera St. Featuring the art of Lakin Hamilton and the music of The Marquees
• Tiger Lily Salon—670 Higuera St., suite D. Artist Lisa Bukowski and Savanna Casteel as musical guest
• H&G Clothing—986 Higuera St. Art by Jerimiah Conte
• San Luis Art Supply—1116 Morro St. Artists Morgana Matus and Peter Ljepava
• Coalition—974 Monterey St. Art by Jamie Coxon and music by DJ Malik
• Dr. Cain’s Comics and Games—778 Marsh St. Art by Sonny Kay
• Boo Boo Records—978 Monterey St. Live music by Max Brebs.