A photograph can capture a moment in a way that words simply can't. Since 1994, the New Times Media Group has invited local photographers to show us their perspective on spaces that surround them in our annual 23rd Annual Winning Images contest.
We have several categories : People, Architecture, Land/Seascape, Animals, Flora, Travel, Open and Youth. All photographs must be taken with in the San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties .
Prints must be between 5x7 and 11x14 and MUST be mounted on a thick 11x14 black or white board without mat. Images may be in color or b/w. No slides are allowed.
The Winning Images will be in display at the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art from June 20th through June 24th.
Submissions will be accepted starting May 3, 2018 and are due to the New Times office, 1010 Marsh St., SLO, 93401 or Sun office 2540 Skyway Drive, Santa Maria, 93455 by 5 p.m. on Mon. May 21st. The cost is $5 per photo entered, cash or check. All entry fees roll back into prizes for winners.
Entry divisions are either ADULT or YOUTH (18 & under)
• Categories are: People, Architecture, Land/Seascape, Animals, Flora, Travel, and Open.
• Prints may be between 5x7 and 11x14 and must be mounted on a thick 11x14 black or white board without a mat. Images may be color or b/w. No slides are allowed.
• Photos submitted in previous years are ineligible.
• Each submission must be accompanied by a $5 check, cash, or money order made out to New Times. Multiple entries may be paid for with one check or money order.
• Submissions are due in the New Times office (1010 Marsh Street, SLO, 93401) or the Sun office (2540 Skyway Drive, Santa Maria, 93455) by 5 p.m. on Monday, May 21.
• A completed entry form must be attached to the back of each mounted entry.
• All photos must be the original, creative work of the submitting photographer.
• All photographs must be taken within the boundaries of San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties – except submissions to the Travel and Open categories – for which photos may be taken anywhere else.
• Photos can’t be returned, but may be picked up at the New Times or Sun offices between July 2 and 31, 2018.
• Entry in the contest constitutes permission to use the photo in the paper, online, and for display.
• All entrants are asked to submit a high-quality digital file of their image (jpeg format, at least 300 dpi) to email@example.com or on any portable storage device (e.g.: flash drive or CD). Multiple entries may be put onto the same portable storage device. Winners will be required to provide their photo electronically. Please include photographer’s name and entry name with each digital submission.
• Judges have the right to reassign categories for mislabeled or misfiled photos at their discretion.
YOUTH (18 & under)
• Entrants must be 18 or younger as of May 31 and enrolled in any school (including a home school) that’s not a college. A winner’s legal guardian will be required to sign a release form.
• All other rules from the adult categories apply.
All entry money goes toward prizes. Winners will be contacted prior to the opening of the photo exhibit at the SLO Museum of Art on Wednesday, June 20, 2018, where winners will be announced and prizes awarded. SLOMA is located at 1010 Broad Street in SLO. The exhibit runs through June 24, 2018. Winning images will be published in the Thursday, June 21 issues of New Times and the Sun; and in an online gallery.