A photograph can capture a moment in a way that words simply can't. Since 1994, New Times Media Group has invited local photographers to show us the moments they've captured in our annual Winning Images photography contest.
Our contest has eight categories: Animals, Architecture, Flora, Land/Seascapes, People, Travel, Open, and Youth.
NEW: We are accepting ONLINE ENTRIES ONLY this year!
The entry period is Thursday, August 20, 2020 through Tuesday, September 8, 2020, by 5 p.m.
The entry fee is $10 per photo. All entry fees roll back into cash prizes for winners in each category. Winning photographs will be published in the Thursday, October 1 issues of New Times and the Sun; will appear in an online gallery; and will be on display around the county.
Entry divisions are either ADULT or YOUTH (under 18)
• Categories are: Animals, Architecture, Flora, Land/Seascapes, People, Travel, and Open.
• All images must be submitted digitally via our online entry form, where the category can be selected.
• A completed online entry form must be submitted for EACH photo entered.
• Entrants are asked to submit a high-quality digital file of their image (jpeg format, at least 300 dpi) on the submission form.
• Photos submitted in previous years are ineligible.
• All photos must be the original, creative work of the submitting photographer.
• Photographs must be taken within the boundaries of San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara Counties – except submissions to the Travel and Open categories.
• After entering your photos, submit your online payment below via PayPal. You may also mail a check (made payable to New Times) to: Winning Images, c/o New Times, 1010 Marsh St., San Luis Obispo, CA 93401. Be sure to include your name, address, email, and a brief description of the photos entered online.
• Photos must be received and entry fees must be paid in full by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 8 to be considered officially entered.
• Entry in the contest constitutes permission to use the photo in our papers, online, and for display.
• Judges have the right to reassign categories for mislabeled or misfiled photos at their discretion.
YOUTH (under 18 years old)
• This is an Open category. Photographs can be of any subject of the entrant’s choosing, but must have been taken within the boundaries of San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties.
• Entrants must be younger than 18 years old as of October 1, 2020 and must be enrolled in any school (including a home school) that’s not a college. A winner’s legal guardian will be required to sign a release form.
• All other rules from the adult categories apply.
When you are finished submitting your entries you must come back here and pay your entry fees to be officially entered.
You can verify your payment by calling 805-546-8208 after your transaction.